Monday, May 26, 2014

A Few Of My Favorite Things - Part 8: Hand Vac


REVISED BELOW - I HAVE A NEW FAVORITE VACUUM

Everybody makes a mess from time to time, and I'm no exception.  The other day, I spilled dry coffee grounds in my lap.  If you did that, it wouldn't land in your lap because you wouldn't be sitting down while working with coffee.  But if, for some reason, you were sitting down to make coffee, and you ended up with coffee grounds in your lap, you would stand up, and brush the mess onto the floor where it would be easy to sweep up.

Sweeping is not easy for me, and standing is much harder, so how to get rid of the mess?  Enter the 18 Volt Shark Cordless Handheld Vacuum.

In its natural environment
I did a bit of homework before buying this particular vacuum.  This one has very good suction power, so it makes very quick work of the lap coffee, and the powered brush attachment helps if I get the coffee in the carpet.  It has a couple other attachments that I haven't used yet, but that will probably be useful one day.  Critically, it has a very convenient charging station that can mount to the wall, and holds all the attachments.  I put mine in the laundry room where it is within reach, but otherwise completely out of the way.

I haven't used my cordless hand vac too many times yet, but I like knowing it's there in case I need to collect some wayward M&Ms, clean up after a preschooler who eats like a defective wood-chipper, or perform a hands-free scary bug removal.



REVISED 8/24/2019

I haven't looked at this blog in 4 years, but I wanted to update this entry since I fell out of love with the Shark, and fell deeply in love with the Dyson cordless vacuum line.

I have 2 different models.  Of the two, I prefer the V7 which is the newer one.  I suspect any model would do the job although I think they get heavier as they get newer which might make them more difficult to handle.

This vacuum is smaller and lighter than the Shark, and the shape does a better job staying on my lap for transport.  I found the Shark tended to roll around as it wasn't really flat on the bottom.  I lay the Dyson on its side on my lap and it stays put, plus I think the V7 is just as powerful as the shark if not moreso.

Dyson V7 Motorhead Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner

It comes with attachments which allow you to use it as a dustbuster or crevice vacuum.  I find it's excellent at vacuuming up bugs if that's something you enjoy as much as I do, and it does a pretty decent job on hard floors.  I don't use it on carpet much, but it would certainly be better than nothing.

4 comments:

  1. Don't talk about Lydia that way! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, clearly Lydia is the problem. :)

      Delete
    2. Pretty sure Evelyn had something to do with this... :)

      Delete
  2. Seems as though it should come with a "sanitize contents" and a "reverse" function, so that if you have done scary bug removal recently, and then the M&Mcatastrophe occurs, you can still easily consume the M&Ms without fear of their having bug guts on them. Just sayin'. And prayin'!

    ReplyDelete