Saturday, April 26, 2014

Accident

I got an email on April 21st from Cullen, reminding me that it was the two year anniversary of my injury.  I suspect focusing on it would be unhealthy, but it never really occurred to me to do so.  It just doesn't matter that much to me, but Cullen did remind me just how far I've come in that time.  I was going to do a post about that, but I don't really feel like it.  Instead, I thought I should tell this story.

I need exercise.  I can't afford to lose what little strength and endurance I have these days, but I hate lifting weights indoors.  The weather here has been fantastic the last couple weeks, so I've been going outside to push the wheelchair around the neighborhood.

A few days ago, I had a bit of an incident.  I didn't think to take any pictures at the time, so I enlisted the help of some friends to reenact the event.

There's a nice gentle hill in the front of the neighborhood that I think offers the best workout, and the return trip goes through the parking lot behind some of the apartments.  Coming downhill toward the playground you have to go up the ramp to get back on the sidewalk.

Buddha Bear demonstrates the approach

The concrete on this particular ramp has experienced some settling since it was poured which creates a substantial lip that I have to wheelie over. I've done it many times. Usually I just slow down, lean back, and pop my front wheels up.

Like this
On this particular occasion, I was tired, and I had been getting bolder about hitting the bump with a little speed.  I popped up the front wheels a little too early, and they came back down before the bump.

Incorrect
The chair stopped dead, and I was thrown forward.  By the time I realized what was going on, my butt was still in the chair, but my hands were on the ground in front of me.

Not pictured: profanity
Then the wheelchair rolled backwards out from under me, and I crumpled to the ground.

Awkwardly
I haven't tried a floor transfer since rehab 2 years ago, and my arms were extremely tired from the exercise.  I knew I could be in trouble.

Fortunately, it was 4:30 on a Friday, and there were a bunch of people around.  Within a few seconds, several of them rushed over to help me.

Not pictured: several more people
Most of the people who came to my aid initially were smaller women.  They offered to pick me up, but I wasn't sure they'd be able to lift me.  Fortunately, after a second, a taller guy showed up.  He offered to pick me up.

Not pictured: rescuer nearly pooping his pants trying to lift me - I assume
I was back in the chair less than 2 minutes after I fell out

My pants had fallen down in the process, but as I always say, "If you're into personal dignity, spinal cord injury is probably not for you."

Once I was back in the chair, I wanted to finish my exercise, but since my pants were down, I figured it would be best to head home and check for injury.  Also fix my pants.

My apartment building is about 200 yards downhill from here, and one of my neighbors insisted on walking me home.  It wasn't necessary, but was nice just the same.

I could not find any evidence of injury except for an extremely minor scrape on one knee.

Overall, I think this was probably a good experience.  It's the first time I've legitimately fallen out of the chair, and it happened at a time when there were a bunch of people around that could help.  I learned a valuable lesson about negotiating pavement bumps, and I learned that it's probably best to exercise at times when people are around.  I also learned that I really need to learn to do floor transfers.

Special thanks to Gus, Evelyn, and Buddha Bear for their assistance in this reenactment.

2 comments:

  1. How pathetic am I, that my first thought (after "Hi, Buddhe Bear!") was "Wow, Evelyn's gotten really tall!" Way to go, pro (well, maybe I should wait to apply that moniker until after your floor transfer proficiency rises).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your creativity, storytelling ability and humor are a wonder! Thanks for getting back into the habit of blogging more often! I'm inspired to think to check your blog frequently.

    ReplyDelete