Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Escapism

My life here is mostly boring and repetitive, and when it isn't, it's extremely stressful.  I look forward to every break I get from it.  Recently, my favorite escape, and the thing I look forward to the most every week is football.  It's something I can do alone, and I can happily sit on the couch all day and watch.  The Hokies aren't very good this year, but I don't care.  There are other good teams to watch, and I'd rather watch the Hokies lose than do just about anything else.

For the first time, I've also really developed a love for the NFL.  I especially enjoy watching the Ravens.  Not just because I'm from Baltimore.  I really enjoy the way they play the game when they're playing well.  The Chicago Bears are also fun to watch this year.  I love watching good defense.

Apart from football, I've been starting to go a little stir crazy lately.  I've hardly left my apartment since I got here in June, and it's starting to wear on me.  The fact is I'm scared to go very far from home.  Here in my apartment, I have access to everything I need, and I know I can handle just about any situation that might arise.  When I leave home, I have no control over the environment, and if something goes wrong, I have few options.

That said, I don't want to be a shut-in so I've decided to try to accept more invitations and get out more.  I mentioned in a previous post that I went with Mike and Sue to Trivia Night at the bar.  We finished 4th.  I'd like to do more short trips like that.

Gus and Uyen invited me to go to the state fair with them this week.  Initially, I told them I didn't think I'd enjoy that, but later I decided I should try it.  I'm so glad I did.  It worked out that my sister was in town that day with my nephew to pick up some of my furniture, and the weather was perfect.  I had a great great time.  Maybe the best time I've had since I've been out of the hospital.

Funnel cake is the only real reason to go to the fair

The kids had fun, and I got to eat a whole ton of fair food.  It felt good to be out in public, but it was also very comforting to have the right people with me.  It was also nice to see my nephew.

Out in public

This was my most ambitious excursion yet, and it was a huge success.  Here are the rest of the pictures.

My mom wants me to travel up to Danville, VA to my sister's house for Thanksgiving.  I have some serious concerns about that.  I'm worried that I'm going to end up spending a lot of time in the wheelchair which will be painful, and that it will be difficult to do the program when I'm up there.  I already know their bathroom door is barely wide enough for my wheelchair.  Then, after the program, I need to get on a bed to put my pants on.  I don't know if the bed they have will be easy to transfer to and from.  I think Gus is going to drive me up for a short visit so we can investigate the facility before Thanksgiving, but it looks like that's where I'll be for Turkey Day.  I don't know what I'm worried about.  What's the worst that can happen, right?  Of course the answer, as always, is that I could poop my pants in front of everyone I know.  That's pretty much always the answer to that question.  We'll see what happens.

3 comments:

  1. Wait. That's the worst that can happen? That's it? It's your family, right? Who among them (older than you, anyway) *hasn't* already experienced the thrill of you pooping your pants in front of everyone? And where else could you say that, except maybe among the good Gizzat gang?
    But seriously, suh-weet, suh-weet funnel cake AND sweetly sleeping Evelyn do make even the State Fair fun. Woo-hoo! (Also, you appear to be far more fit than the average fair-goer, which is always an ego-boost).
    Praying the Hokies shock us all and win out, and not just for your sake: I'm thinking about preaching a series on miracles in the New Year and need an unexpected illustration. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gus here- Everybody poops, I read a book about that once. Sorry about all of the Carey family photos, I gave the camera to Uyen a few times since we forgot our camera (her camera).

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Of course the answer, as always, is that I could poop my pants in front of everyone I know. That's pretty much always the answer to that question."

    Hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete