Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fun

Lately, I've been lucky enough to have some fun, and I guess I should tell you about it.

One of the bad things about being stuck in a wheelchair is that I can't get into most of my friends' houses.  It turns out that most houses require you to navigate at least one or two stairs to get in.  That's not really an option for me.  Fortunately, last weekend, Gus built a ramp over his garage stairs so I can get in.

It's kinda steep
The ramp is a little on the steep side, so I need a big push to get up, and coming down is pretty exciting, but at least I can get in.  So last Monday, I went over and had pizza and watched Monday Night Football.  It was pretty fun to get a change of scenery.  Also, Rosati's pizza is pretty good.

Watching football on a different couch
Last week, I went looking for somebody who wanted to see Argo in the theater with me, and Andy agreed, so we did that Saturday.  That was fun, but also on Saturday, I got a call from my brother-in-law.  It turns out this weekend was the Martinsville NASCAR race.  I had lost track of the date, but for the last 12 years, twice a year, whenever NASCAR races at Martinsville, I have gone up to Hillsville, VA to meet up with a group of friends from all over the east coast and waste several days drinking and wasting time.  Anyway, the Martinsville group decided that they wanted to waste their Saturday by driving 3.5 hours one-way to hang out with me for a few hours, and then drive 3.5 hours back.  So that's what they did.

Mark T., Matt, Curt, and Chris

Jon and Rocco

We spent some time hanging out in my apartment, and then we went to the wing place near my apartment.  I had a great time, and it made me wish I was going with them back to the cabin, but I had a great time hanging out with those guys.  It was easily the most fun I had this week.

So I've had a pretty fun week, and I thought I'd share.  Hopefully this week will be good too.

Mark B. and Mark T.

3 comments:

  1. Wait. Buddha Bear's first name is actually Mark? I'm floored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jason, it's Adrienne! This post put a huge smile on my face!! It looks like you had a great time with the Martinsville crew!! Reading your posts I can see you have some really great friends!! Keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jason,
    It's Luken. I just saw Matt, Gretchen, Rocco, Curt and his parents last night and Matt sent me the link to your blog. I was so upset to hear about your accident. I have been reading through your posts about your journey through this and it's quite remarkable. What amazing friends you have there. You have the sense of humor that you need to stay positive, and it really comes through in your writing. Racing is in your heart, and you'll find a way to stay connected to it. Focusing on your family, friends, recovery, new goals & accomplishments- that's life and I wish you the best as you discover your new normal. I'm thinking of you, and look forward to reading more.
    Take care,
    Luken

    ReplyDelete