Saturday, December 29, 2012

The Holiest of Days

Every year around this time, we all take a break from our normal daily obligations to stimulate the economy by attempting to spend the same exact amount of money on each of our loved ones that they have spent on us.  The purchaser of the best gift earns the right to not feel guilty for the duration of the coming year, and the title, "The Winner of Christmas."

One of the benefits of being horribly broken is that I don't feel that much pressure to attempt a Christmas victory, and I was content to coast my way through this year.  Gift cards for everyone!

I hope you all had a good Christmas.  Mine was surprisingly good.  My parents came down for a few days with my brother.  We had a nice time together, and some excellent food.  My mom brought sour beef and dumplings.  It's a family favorite, and I got to have Gus and Uyen over to share it on Christmas eve.  There was also mocha cake which is another thing I don't get when my mom's not around.

Mocha cake preparation
On Christmas, we eventually got up and opened some presents.  There weren't a lot of presents but we enjoyed opening the ones we had.  I got what I asked for.

Stockings!
Jonathan opening a gift intended for me
My college roommate, Bobby, also sent me the most thoughtful gift I have received in years.  It was a collection of man-bibs made by his mom.  I have a lot of trouble keeping food off myself since I can't lean forward.  This is something I will definitely use.

Better than stuffing a towel in my collar

Later, Gus's family came back for Christmas dinner.  My mom ordered Maryland crab cakes from a place in Baltimore that ships crab cakes.  They're not cheap, but they were fantastic.  And once again, I got to share with the Careys so that was wonderful.  They do so much for me, I always enjoy it when I can do something nice for them.

The Careys
Getting ready for crab cakes
Gus got me a gift as well.  I had told him I wouldn't mind having an electric tea kettle so I could make hot tea.  So he got me one.
Hello Kitty
I've been enjoying tea all week.

My family is back home now, and I'm pleased to report that my pain was manageable while they were here.  I don't feel great, but I'm getting by.  Still looking forward to surgery.  Still taking it a day at a time.

3 comments:

  1. you should have posed the pez dispenser next to the kettle...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great, especially the man bibs! New year blessings :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gus, Uyen, and Evelyn are like the Holy Family redux. Positively glowing! And once the man-bib shot goes viral, you will have a new career in modeling. All around awesomeness. Merry Christmas (Day Six of Twelve)!

    ReplyDelete