Monday, April 29, 2013

Healing Heel

The wound on my heel is healing nicely.  I could try to tell you about it, but instead, I'm just going to share the slide show of all the pictures Gus has taken of it.  He takes the pictures so we have a record, but also (mostly) because I can't actually see it myself.  I'm not flexible enough to see the bottom of my heel.

Heel Pics

The other thing I want to do is quickly talk about my butt.  I have a major pain in my butt.  I know many of you are confused because I AM a major pain in the butt, but try to stay with me.

Questions from many of my recent visitors indicate to me that I haven't done an adequate job of explaining the pain in my butt.  My spinal injury is what's known as "incomplete".  To me, that sounds like I didn't do a proper job of injuring myself, but what it means is that my spinal cord was not completely severed, and that some signals are still making it through from the paralyzed part of my body to my brain.

For some people, an incomplete spinal injury results in partial control of the muscles in their lower extremities.  For me, it means that I have no control, but some sensation.  I can't feel anything that happens to the exterior of my body.  If I pinch myself or slap myself, or cut myself, I don't feel it.  I can't feel the horrible wound on my heel.  However, I do feel most of the pain that originates from inside my body.  So I would feel a muscle injury or from a deep bruise.  If I broke a bone, I suspect I would feel that.

It feels like there is a very deep bruise inside my butt cheeks, originating near my pelvic bones, right where my weight goes when I sit.  This pain has been getting worse over time, and it's now at a point where it's all I can think about when I'm sitting up.  I think dealing with this pain, and whatever actual injury may be associated with it will likely be the biggest challenge to getting on with my life post-injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment