Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Busy

First off, my recovery from surgery is going about as well as could be expected.  My left hip feels great, and I'm pretty happy with the range of motion.  I get the staples out tomorrow.

25 Staples
The right hip still hurts more than I want it to, but it's back to the level it was before surgery.

I'm very grateful to my mom for her help with the first week of my recovery.  It can be stressful having my parents around, but I really don't know how I could have gotten through that first week without her.  I was pretty broken.

It was nice while she was here because Gus's parents have been in town to help Gus build a new deck, so I got to introduce Gus's parents to my mom.  They got along quite famously.  We had several meals together including one at Gus's house where his mom made Runzas.  They're like German HotPockets.  You dip them in mustard.  Very delicious.

Gus's awesome new deck

The last week or so, I've been feeling really good.  I can actually lean forward in the wheelchair slightly.  Not as much as I think I need to, but it's enough that I can do some important things that I haven't been able to do.  Like spit in the sink when brushing my teeth.  I think I can now retire my spit cup.

I think I also might be able to get into a regular car now.  I haven't tried it yet, but I'm optimistic.  That means I might be able to drive soon.  I'm not going to rush it, but that would be pretty awesome.

I don't know how it's possible, but I have felt very busy since my mom left.  I've had several visitors.  Ben came for dinner and to watch Star Trek, Amy brought me delicious food, Cullen came by for dinner and a movie, I took a trip up to see Titus and Brittany and tour Titus's new shop, and yesterday my friend Adam stopped by with his new wife, Caroline, while on their honeymoon.  It's been a whirlwind of visitors reminiscent of when I was in rehab.

Tonight, my friend Emily is arriving for a 5-day stay, so the fun continues.  I'm really looking forward to it because I'm feeling good enough to get out and do some stuff, and I'll have Emily around to make it happen.  Should be fun.

2 comments:

  1. So good to hear you're feeling well. I think it's time for another dinner at our house. Lets talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's hear it for retired spit cups! Yee-haw!

    ReplyDelete