Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Emily's Visit

Emily left Sunday afternoon after staying 5 days.  This was the first time she had been here when I was feeling good enough to go out and do stuff, and as predicted, I had a really good time.  Here's what we did.

Emily arrived Wednesday afternoon.

Thursday, Emily drove me to UNC to see Dr. Dahners and get my staples removed.  We also picked up some x-rays and visited Raheleh up in rehab.  I haven't been up to rehab in a long time, and it was nice to go say hi.

Here's one of the x-rays of my hips after the first surgery, but before the second surgery.  You can compare the amount of bone in the left side to the right side to get an idea of what they removed.  It's a lot.

A lot of bone
We went to the lunch buffet at Tower Indian near my house.  We agreed it was some of the best Indian food we have had.  It's nice to discover good restaurants close by that you didn't know about.

We also discovered La Rancherita.  It's a Mexican place near my apartment that has unusually good food.  I got the Burrito Ranchero with chicken and chorizo.  It was covered in avacado slices and some spicy and savory sauces that were delicious.  Emily got chicken flautas that also had some very unique sauces.  It was definitely way better than average Mexican food.

We also tried the sushi at Neo Asia.  It was delicious, but I had never been there, and I'm really excited to go back and try some of their other menu items.  We saw them bring one lady a pile of fried rice the size of half a football.

Sushi!



Saturday morning, we went to the Raleigh Flea Market where we spent half the day.  We had some delicious hot dogs, and I got to see Julie, and talk to her friend Jen, whose son recently had a spinal cord injury.  They live nearby, so I may see more of them in the future.


Of course Emily had never been to Tribeca, so we had to go there for a burger.  We were there with her friend, Sarah, and I got to try 3 different burgers.

Sunday morning, Emily took me to Carmax to look at cars and see if there were any that seemed easier or harder to get into.  I didn't actually transfer into any of them, but I was able to identify a few that seemed a little better than the others.


I finally got to watch Bellflower, which is a movie I have been saving a long time to watch with Emily.  It was okay, but I'm glad I finally saw it.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things that we did, but we did a lot.  Mostly, we ate really really well, and discovered some really good restaurants that are very close by.  I'm looking forward to going back to them although for the time being, I really need to take a break from food.  I've been eating way too much for my mostly sedentary lifestyle.  I need to dial it back a couple notches and maybe have a salad or two.  Prepare for Emily's next visit.

So far this week, I have mostly been trying to recover from last week.  By the time Emily left, I was exhausted.  That's the most time I've spent up and in the wheelchair since I got out of rehab.  It was fun, but now I need to recover.  I could write more, but on that note, I'm going to bed.  I'll try to write again later this week.



1 comment:

  1. Ok, it's later! Write more. But seriously, what a wonderful week! And next time, no photos of delicious food unless you have invented some way of making the food really come through the computer screen, edible. That sushi platter was gorgeous and made me want to gorge myself on sushi, which isn't available in the place we live but are soon leaving. That is all.

    ReplyDelete