Friday, August 30, 2013

Morphine

Recovery from this surgery has been the worst by far.

The last few days since I left the hospital have been really tough.  They gave me a slow-release morphine pill when I was in the hospital to help with the pain.  I was never quite sure how much it was doing, but I felt pretty good on Wednesday when I left.  On the way home, I felt good enough to eat at my favorite restaurant (Firebirds Grill) while we waited for CVS to fill my prescription order.

When I got home, I took some of the new pain drugs we just got, which should be the same ones I was taking at the hospital, and I went to bed for 4 hours.  When I got up, I thought I was dying.  My mouth was so aggressively dry that it almost unendurable.  I know what you're thinking: "His mouth was a little dry?  That doesn't sound so bad."  Have you ever heard of the cinnamon challenge.  It feels roughly like that.


So I drank some water and calmed down, and then I transferred to the wheelchair so I could go pee.  That went okay, but by the time I was ready to transfer back into bed, I felt so weak and light-headed, I didn't think I could continue sitting up, and I definitely didn't trust myself to do the transfer into bed.  We ended up using a slide board to do the transfer so I didn't have to support my weight.  I haven't used that since rehab over a year ago.

When I got in bed, I felt completely terrible.  Weak and light-headed and just awful.  I wasn't sure what my blood pressure was, but I felt it might be dangerously low.  I couldn't find my pulse which has never been a problem.  Eventually, I decided to call the paramedics to come measure my blood pressure.

While I was waiting for the paramedics, I decided to use my fancy adjustable bed to elevate my feet, and my mom had the idea to use my fancy air-pumped leg squeezers to try to squeeze blood up toward my heard.  I think that worked, and by the time the medics arrived, I was feeling a lot better.  When they measured my BP, it was in a pretty good range, but I would love to know what it had been.

The paramedics said that both the dry-mouth and the weird feeling could be caused by the morphine, so I decided to stop it cold-turkey.  The pain would be better than the side-effects.  So I stopped all pain meds on Wednesday night.

The problem with slow-release pain meds is that they don't leave your system just because you stopped taking them. It is now Friday evening, and I think I'm still feeling some of the after effects of the morphine.  I think I have a morphine hangover.  I haven't been out of bed in two whole days, and the dry-mouth, while improving, is still a problem.  The lightheaded feeling is better, but still present, and the pain has slowly been returning.  Turns out the morphine was doing a lot about the pain.  In general, I feel horrible, but I don't regret stopping the morphine... yet.

I'm so glad my mom has been here.  I don't think I could do this without her.  She has allowed me to stay in bed by bringing me everything I need when I need it.  Without her, I would have had to transfer out of bed every 4 hours at least to pee.  I don't think I could have done it.

In the next hour or so, I'm going to attempt to get out of bed and into the wheelchair.  I have no idea how it's going to go, but I'm looking forward to trying it.  I think the pain is going to be a problem, but I also think I'm going to have to either suck it up or go back on the morphine.  It would have to be incredibly bad for that to happen.  I don't ever want to take morphine again.

1 comment:

  1. So it's Saturday now -- how did it go?
    God bless your mom, indeed.
    Morphine. Ah, morphine. From being with family to pastoral hospital visits, I thought I had seen the full range of side effects from morphine, but no...there you go, teaching/surprising me yet again, Haas! Thank you, good sir. Now it's time for the lesson to end and you to be free of Lady M. (I use the term "lady" facetiously, of course.) At least, while lightheaded, you appear (from the tenor of the post) not to have had any of the possible mental side effects of the morphine. Wait, do you remember who I am? Do you remember who your mom is? Do you remember your name?
    Praying!

    ReplyDelete