Thursday, September 6, 2012

Passion

Today I got an email from my buddy, Chris, about his latest motorcycle race.  Here's a video he sent.

WERA Talladega GPR Formula 2 - August 2012

You don't have to watch it.  If you're not a motorcycle racing fan, you might think it's boring.  I find it riveting.  But then again, I spent the last few years devoting myself to becoming as good at this as I could.  Motorcycle racing is the first and only thing I have ever felt truly passionate about.  I could happily live, eat, and breathe motorcycle racing, and talk about it until everyone around me was bored to tears.

It immersed me completely.  Working on the bike, learning to tune it to make it handle better, improving my skills in riding it, analyzing my past performance.  I happily spent all my free time on it.  Now I can't do it anymore, and all the knowledge and skills I acquired seem like a waste.

One thing I've been thinking a lot about lately is whether I'll ever have another passion.  Something that makes me want to stay up late at night and get up early.  Something that makes my pulse quicken just thinking about it.

It's hard to imagine right now what it might be, but I hope I find one eventually.  Life is so much better when you're passionate about something.

1 comment:

  1. No clever comment for this one. Just praying for your new passion to emerge (and pondering whether I'm praying to the only Passion that can't be ripped away...thanks for getting me thinking!).

    ReplyDelete