Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Achievement

I had a good day today, and I wanted to share.  It's the first really good day I've had in a while.

This morning, I went outside for exercise with Gus and Evelyn.  It's the first time I have gone outside with the express purpose of pushing my wheelchair just for the exercise.  I pushed myself over to the apartment office to drop off my release renewal, then I pushed myself around the block here at the apartment, then I pushed over to the mailboxes to get my mail.  By the time I got back, I was exhausted, but it felt good to raise the heart rate and it worked my arms like nothing I've done since leaving the hospital.

Then it was shower time.  Every time I take a shower, I try to lift my feet over the tub wall myself before giving up and asking for help.  Sometimes I get one, but usually I fail.  Today, for the first time, I succeeded in lifting both feet both in and out of the tub unassisted.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but it meant a lot to me.  I don't know if I can do it again, and it doesn't really mean anything because I still can't remove my socks unassisted so I still can't shower alone, but it felt like progress, and I haven't felt that in a long time.  This accomplishment alone would have made it a good day.

Finally, Cullen and Caitlin came over for dinner and we went for sushi.  I had been looking forward to that for days.  I love sushi, and I love hanging out with Cullen and Caitlin.  After dinner we went to Dairy Queen.

At the Queen





So it's been a good day, and I just felt like sharing.  Now it's time to watch some tv and go to bed.

7 comments:

  1. Look at you, burying the lead like that...SUSHI! ;)
    Seriously, joyful all around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I had a good day too, despite getting a speeding ticket first thing that morning. Dinner with you and Cait redeemed the day for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A job well done, sir...keep it up! Take one thing at a time, buddy...it may be small, but it's huge. This blatant attempt at knowledge dropping brought to you by sleepiness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jason! I'm catching up on your blog. I am going to put in my google reader. Thanks for keeping it going and keep up the good work, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good job Jason!!! Happy to read about your good day. Keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oyyy ...... stop slacking off. I'm waiting to see you back at the lab. This blog is how I see you are progressing towards that.

    Guy

    ReplyDelete