Thursday, March 14, 2013

Extremes

It's interesting how my life seems to be a series of extremes these days.  Just a couple weeks ago, everything seemed to be going wrong, and I was completely miserable.  Then suddenly, things turned around, and for the last week or so, it seems like things have been about as good as they could be.  Well, as good as they could be given my revised expectations.  It's not like I can walk or anything.

On Monday, my replacement seat cushions for my wheelchair arrived.  Those have really helped with my sitting pain.  Turns out the technical term for your butt bones is "ischium" or "ischial tuberosities".  Mine still don't feel great, but they feel soooooo much better than a couple weeks ago.  They no longer feel like the bones are going to come poking through at any time.  They do still feel sore all the time though.

My leg spasms are slightly worse than they were last week, but right now the things that bother me the most are pretty much behaving themselves.  Also, the pain in my hip seems a lot better this week, to the point that I'm thinking about scheduling my next surgery.  That's pretty exciting.

I'm still wearing the boots, but my heels are getting a lot better.  My left heel is essentially healed, and my right is on the way.  You can see that there is new skin under the remains of the blister, and it's only a matter of time before all the nasty old skin falls off.

I've had quite a few visitors in the last few days.  I mentioned Titus and Brittany in my last post, and since then, I've had dinner with Mike and Sue, David and Kristen, and last night with Julie.  It's been nice to have so much company for dinner since lately, it's been getting harder to get people to come hang out.  I'm not exactly lonely, but I certainly don't have the flood of visitors I had when I was in rehab.  I can't say I don't miss it.

Speaking of visitors, Gus's family will be out of town from March 23 through March 31, and I'll be all alone, so I'd love to see anybody who wants to stop by that week.  Especially if there's food involved.

And speaking of Gus's family, for the last year or so, I've been spending a lot of time with little Evelyn, and she's been growing up right before my eyes.  I guess that's what they do.  Anyway, when she started coming here, she could barely color inside the lines of a coloring book picture.  Lately, she has been drawing her own pictures.  Sometimes they're of her family, and sometimes she includes me.  I think that's precious.

Guess which one I am

2 comments:

  1. Love that picture and how sweet of her to include you! Glad you are feeling better, at least a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She even has y'all decked out in green for the holiday!!(Sweet hat on Gus -- you should ask her to draw you one, too.)
    Evelyn is a charmer, for sure. Thanks for sharing the good news (and art!).

    ReplyDelete