Saturday, August 4, 2012

Lucky

Sorry it's been so long since I've written.  Life is getting busier, and it's getting harder to find an hour a day to sit down and write.  I'm also not very proud of the posts where I just list the things I've done that day.  They just seem mundane to me, but the pithier posts take longer to plan and write, and I'm spending a lot less time on my back than I did in the hospital.  There, I had lots of time to just think.

A couple days ago, somebody told me I "deserved some luck", implying that I haven't had any.  I don't mind if people want to think that although I'm not looking for pity from anyone.  I still feel extremely lucky though.  The injury itself was unlucky, but everything that has happened since has been extremely fortunate.

I've talked about my friends a lot already, and everyone is probably tired of hearing about them already, but I could still not be more grateful to them for the support they've given me.  Even with the HO and no family in the area, I'm still able to live alone with no other assistance apart from my friends.  I can't imagine who else in my position could do that.

So I feel very lucky, and I feel it's important not to start thinking I "deserve" anything.  As soon as you start thinking you deserve something, there can be only two results: bitterness if you don't get it or lack of gratitude if you do.

Here's what else has been going on:
  • Several dinner guests
  • Kids in my apartment
  • A trip downtown with Gus
  • Several delicious lunches
  • Drinks in my apartment with friends
  • Some time on the couch
Watching the Olympics instead of blogging

Justin is coming over tomorrow for the afternoon/evening, so that should be fun.  Haven't seen him since the hospital, so I'm looking forward to that.

5 comments:

  1. Good perspective! Did you take philosophy??! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "As soon as you start thinking you deserve something, there can be only two results: bitterness if you don't get it or lack of gratitude if you do." <-- That will preach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you mining my blog for sermon material? :-)

      Delete
    2. Not like I need a pick-axe and helmet to find the gold here! But since you put it that way, do I have your permission to quote you in preaching if the appropriate nudge from the Holy Spirit arises? :D Would you prefer case-by-case approval?

      Delete
  3. Jason, I'm one of Julie's friends. I've been keeping up with your blog. I think your progress is amazing! Your out look is too!! Some days when I think I'm having a bad day, I read your blog and you make me ashamed of complaining!! Your out look is fabulous! One we should all have!! =)

    ReplyDelete