Monday, July 16, 2012

Downer and Dinner

I feel like I've been kinda mopey the last couple weeks with this HO thing, but I have decided that's not a sustainable attitude given how long I'm going to have to deal with it, so I'm trying to figure out how to get myself out of this funk and back to a more upbeat attitude.

Here's my plan:
  • I'm going to try to ignore the uncertainty of the situation, and convince myself that everything is going to work out eventually.
  • I'm also going to try to stop focusing on what I can't do and start focusing on what I can do.
  • I'm going to try to stop feeling embarrassed about accepting help from my friends and try to just be grateful.
There are probably a lot of life lessons to be learned here about patience and pride, and I think I'm going to have to learn them if I'm going to get through this with my sanity.  Hopefully doing this stuff is as easy as coming up with the plan.

I've noticed that I'm always in a better mood when there are people here, so I'm going to encourage visitors as much as I can.  Along those lines, I want to thank everyone who has brought me food.  It means so much to me not to have to cook or shop right now, and I don't think I've ever eaten as well as I have the last couple weeks.  Besides that, I get a visit with every meal, sometimes from people I haven't seen in a while.

Tonight, Brittany came over and pushed me up to the Thai/Sushi place where we had a sushi feast.  It was incredible, and I'm very happy to know that I live 120 yards from a great sushi place.  Plus it's buy one get one every day if you eat in!


Bought one
Then she pushed me down to the DQ for some Blizzards.


Mmmm... ice cream with candy in it...
Just another example of my friends being awesome.



5 comments:

  1. Everything you eat looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm ready for more! Oh, and you better not got to Thai's Noodle without me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. It means a lot to me and your other readers to hear you feeling positive. I know it's tough. You're doing a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Suuuuuushiiiiii (drooling Homer Simpson style, eyes rolling back in head).
    Forgive me if I've shared this before, but as much as it's going to sound like a contradiction to your "ignore the uncertainty," what your plan reminded me of was how I had to learn the hard way (long story for another time) to "embrace the uncertainty." It's a seemingly maniacal, defiant hoping-beyond-all-current-evidence attitude that shares your plan's 2nd and 3rd bullet points. It has never once failed me and is the only way I'm able to practice what I preach (literally!). Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The other night, Gregory was bowing down, Natalya asked what he was doing and he said he was praying. Natalya asked what he was praying for and he said, "Daddy's friend, Jason." So, know that even the 5 year olds are praying for you. Wish I lived closer, I miss ya buddy! Keep posting, just because I don't always comment, doesn't mean I'm not reading!

    ReplyDelete