Friday, July 6, 2012

Helicopter Ride

On April 21, 2012, I crashed a motorcycle, and was evacuated by helicopter to a hospital.  In spite of the fact that I don't even remember that helicopter ride, I have received the bill.  The helicopter ride cost $23,790.

A few days ago, I got a letter in the mail from my insurance company saying that they were not going to cover the helicopter ride even partially.  I have known about the helicopter charge for weeks, and the possibility that I might have to pay it has been very stressful to say the least.  When I found out it wasn't covered, it was another emotional blow at a time when I didn't need one.

My mom is here right now though, and she suggested I call my case manager at the insurance company and ask about it, so yesterday morning, I did just that.  I explained the situation and asked if she could find out why it had been denied.

I didn't hear back until this afternoon.

My case manager said that the charge is going to bounce around the system a little bit, but ultimately, it will be covered, so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

Tastes like victory





I feel like somebody just gave me $24,000.

I've had so little of it lately, it feels really good to get some good news.

7 comments:

  1. Sorry you were stressing over that. If they hadn't covered it, I would have helped you appeal it as many times as we needed to! Always listen to your mom. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea what or whom that photo was originally intended to depict, but it is the ridiculously red-faced, pale-armed visual image of the bellowing "Thank you, JESUS!" sound that emanated from my mouth just now, sending Paul leaping for his computer to read your latest post. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell me you got the name of the person who said that it would be covered. That would be ridiculous if it wasn't covered. Like you need more stress right now. At least they should have taped the helicopter ride so you could see it and create a memory of it. I've never been in a helicopter and have always wanted to take a ride... but not that kind of helicopter. Love ya buddy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. $23k?!? I need to get into the helicopter-ride-giving business!

    Glad you got a more positive answer and I hope this all gets resolved quickly.

    ReplyDelete