Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Butt-Wheelies

Emily thinks it's funny when I say this which I take to mean that it has enough truth to it that should be funny.  However it may only be funny to people who have experienced it.  We'll see.  First I'll give you some background.

I'm a T4 ASIA something paraplegic which means that my spinal cord was damaged at the 4th vertebrae down from my head.  That's pretty high, and it means that none of my abdominal muscles work at all.  This means that sitting up requires me to basically balance my shoulders and head over my hips with no control of the connecting body.  It's all balance, and it's really easy to tip over.

One of the big things we work on is sitting on the edge of a bed while holding objects with both hands.  This is much more difficult with no abs because you can't hold the object just anywhere.  You have to position it so that it doesn't upset your balance.  If you start to fall backward, you have to hold it out further in front, etc.

As a result of the way I have to sit, I told Emily that sitting was now a lot more like doing a wheelie on my butt.  That may amuse only me, but it amuses me quite a bit because of how true it is.

Example of a butt-wheelie

1 comment:

  1. Not nearly as funny until I saw the accompanying picture. Now, hilarious.

    ReplyDelete