Saturday, May 19, 2012

Motorcycles

It makes perfect sense to blame motorcycles for my injury.  I mean, it did happen on a bike.  But the fact of the matter is, if I were miraculously healed tomorrow, one of the first things I would do would be to get back on a motorcycle.  I was never under any illusions about how dangerous riding is.  The danger is one of the things that makes them so exciting.  If anyone or anything is to blame, it's me, so I don't blame the bike, and I still have the passion to ride.

Having the time of my life


That said, I have met people with severe lower body injuries who find ways to keep riding.  Often, they ride 3-wheelers.  I actually met a paraplegic like myself at the racetrack once who had designed and fabricated a thumb-shifter and a landing gear system for his Kawasaki that allowed him to do a track day with his legs velcro'd to the side of the bike.  His friends would lift him onto the bike before each session.  I respect the hell out of guys like that, but I don't have any desire to be one of them.

2 comments: