Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Painful Day

It seems like it's about time to start writing about how I'm doing here at rehab.  Yesterday I had a pretty good morning at PT (Physical Therapy).  Emily worked with me on using the board to transfer from the wheel chair to a bed and back, and I did most of the work by myself.  That was pretty difficult, but felt really good to do on my own.

Emily's special brand of motivation

Unfortunately, in the afternoon, Courtney made me do some exercises where I tried to make the transition from laying in bed to sitting on the edge.  Turns out I'm not flexible enough for some of the moves yet, and I hurt my back pretty bad, and messed it up for the rest of the day.

I'm still in quite a bit of pain from my surgery and from injuries suffered in the crash, and that pain is the biggest obstacle to my rehab.  My left hand/wrist is a mess, and I can't put much pressure on it.  The doctors say it's probably not broken, but they may take an x-ray in the next couple days if it doesn't start to get better.  I also have some broken ribs that can be tricky when I have to roll sideways onto them or laugh.  Finally, my back hurts quite a bit where they did my surgery.  It's hard to describe that pain, but it's sort of like a cross between a stab wound and a badly pulled muscle.  The Percocet helps a lot with that one most of the time.

4 comments:

  1. Is she punching you in the face? What kind of therapy is this?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! It's Natalya. Paul told me about "posing" Emily for this photo. ("Do something motivational!") It's fun to see it at last. Thanks for opening this web window to all of us who love & are praying for you, Jason. (That felt weird to type, as my brain was saying "Haas." Oh, well!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Natalya. Yeah, Emily is great. I just enjoy giving her a hard time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's just *your* special brand of helping her maintain the virtue of humility. ;)

      Delete