Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Shower

Katie and Rahalay, about to see me naked
I'm pretty sure everyone on this floor of the hospital has seen my junk.  That's what I tell everyone, and I think it's nearly true.  If you want to see it, come on down and take a gander.  I don't mind.  I gave up on my dignity after my first day here.  It's a lot easier that way.

This morning, I got a shower.  It was my first real shower since the accident almost a month ago.  The shower was a teaching exercise administered by my occupational therapists, Katie, and Rahalay.  It was incredibly difficult, and required constant spotting and assistance by both ladies while I tried to manage my balance on the shower chair while actually cleaning myself with one or both hands while attempting not to drown.

It felt incredibly good to be wet, but it took two full hours, and I was completely exhausted by the time it was over.  I'm willing to take it on faith that I will eventually learn to do it unassisted, but right now, it's hard to imagine how that is ever going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment