Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Outside

Today was pretty eventful, but I don't have much time to write about it so I'll just say it was a good day.  The major event today was that some of the therapists took another patient and myself out on a trip outside the hospital to see an apartment that is modified to accommodate wheelchair dwellers such as us.

My friends have been looking at this type of apartment on my behalf for weeks now, and sending me pictures and videos, but it's hard to get a feel for it without actually being there, so this trip gave me the opportunity to try to relate what I've seen in their pictures to what these apartments are like in real life.

I asked Katie to snap some pictures.  Note the lowered counter tops, the stove controls on the front, the pull-out counter surface, the wider doorways, and the grab handles in the tub.  Overall, we thought this was a pretty nice setup until we learned that the mailboxes are 70 yards away up a steep hill.  That's what we call a deal-breaker.  Also the $1300/mo rental price for the one-bedroom.  This place is close to UNC so normal pricing rules don't seem to apply.

The good news is that I think I have settled on an apartment in Cary.  I think I'm going to start filling out paperwork tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. Do tell...rental? Is it as accessible as you hoped?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do fill out the paperwork, I don't want you to lose this apartment to someone else!

    ReplyDelete
  3. do any of the apartments have more like a large shower stall setup? seems like that would be easier to get in/out of than a tub setup.

    ReplyDelete