Thursday, June 21, 2012

Excitement and Disappointment

Tomorrow morning I go home.  I've finally gotten to the point where I'm more excited than afraid, but I'm still pretty apprehensive.  The last two nights in the transitional apartment have been relatively uneventful, but at the same time have been very eye-opening about what it's going to be like doing everything without a nurse on call.

I'm going to miss this...

... because it brings one of these

But overall, I'm excited to go home to my new apartment, and I'm excited to spend some time with my sister, and I'm excited to check out my new neighborhood, and I'm excited to be closer to my friends, and I'm excited to not have to eat cafeteria food every meal.



Unfortunately, I wrote that earlier today.  Then they checked my x-ray from yesterday, and they may have found a problem.  So they want to keep me through most of tomorrow to run some more scans.  I'll be lucky if I can get out tomorrow evening.  It sounds like it's more likely I'll be released on Saturday now.

I didn't know how much I was looking forward to my release until they took it away.  They're doing it for my own good, but mentally, I have checked out.  Now it looks like I may have to go take a half-hearted stab at some more therapy tomorrow while I wait for bone scan results.

I don't handle disappointment well, and this is a pretty major disappointment for me.

This kid again

1 comment:

  1. I actually just smacked my computer and cried out "oh, no!" as I got below "the line" to your disappointment...pretty rude of me, since it's late, even in Texas (where we are visiting Paul's parents) and my laptop probably dislikes being struck so violently.

    I have decided to go to bed praying that this will turn out the way the x-rays during Gregory's perilous entry into this world did. As they rushed the 5lb. 13 oz. newborn from Paul's and my side to a mini-NICU and ordered x-rays, I was a little too exhausted to be disappointed yet, but when they talked about keeping us in the hospital longer because of an uncertainty about his chest x-ray, it was...well, let's just say it's not what I want to be thinking about on the eve of his 5th birthday (which happens to be Saturday). Nevertheless, after our extension of an already lengthier-than-normal maternity stay, a new x-ray revealed that in his initial one he must have twisted or twitched and that nothing was in fact wrong, except that his lungs had been mildly overextended during labor and delivery, and he'd be fine. The delayed discharge led to a late night arrival in our new, recklessly-abandoned-to-uncertainty life, but it all worked out and we appreciated our homecoming infinitely more.

    So I'm praying for "it was not actually a problem, oops, sorry, off you go!" results for you, and a sweeter than expected arrival in your new home. Sorry this is so long, but I'm making up for the anticipated delays between future blog posts by giving you all I've got to comment now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete