Thursday, June 7, 2012

It's Occupational!

Occupational therapy teaches you how to do pretty much anything you need to do to live your life.  Specifically, it teaches you how to do things that walkers do.  Around here, they sometimes call normal people 'walkers'.  I find the term offensive, but what can you do?  I can tell you the therapists here uniformly disagree with my use of the word 'cripple', so I guess we're even.

Lately, whenever the therapists ask me to do something a normal person would do, like open a door or push an elevator button, I say, "It's occupational!".  That makes the therapists laugh, and that makes me happy because I like to make people laugh.  It is the little things that keep me going in here.  Lord knows it is not the food.

Speaking of food, Rahalay, my occupational therapist, is going to teach me to make brownies on Friday.  Ghirardelli brownies no less.  Earlier this week, they taught me to make a bed, vacuum a carpet, and do laundry.  All good stuff to know.  All 10 times harder than it is for walkers.  I think the moral of this story is: if you visit me this weekend there very well might be brownies.


It's occupational!


Rahalay threatens to slap me if I mix lights and darks

3 comments:

  1. sounds like somebody has a Roomba in their future.... and maybe a sweet X10 home automation installation :)

    also it seems like no one at UNC watches Walking Dead? (walker==zombie)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were the Brownies as good as the ones I made for you? BTW, David wants me to trade you the Brownie recipe for the Ulrich mocha icing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten to make the Ghirardelli brownies yet due to scheduling conflicts, but your brownies are REALLY good. I'll have my sister email David the mocha icing recipe. I recommend putting it over yellow cake, and letting the whole thing sit for a day before you eat it. The icing (all icing?) is better with a little bit of crust on it.

      Delete