Friday, June 15, 2012

The Outing

Today, with very little planning or announcement, we went on an outing.  It was four therapists, Ashley, Eric, and myself.  Those are other patients.  We had to push ourselves all the way from the hospital to Franklin Street.  Except Eric.  He's got a power chair.  Google maps says it was a little over half a mile, but it felt like a lot longer.  It turns out that uneven brick pavement is not much fun to push a wheelchair on.  Especially if it's uphill.  Or downhill.  Or level.

There were several times when I didn't think I could make my arms go anymore, but ultimately it's good that I did because there was a Qdoba burrito in it for me on Franklin Street.  Also a Coke.  I haven't had a Coke in a long long time, and that may have been the highlight of my trip.

I meant to take some pictures for you.  I even brought my camera, but in all the excitement and cursing, I completely forgot.  Also, my sister showed up for a visit, and met us down at Qdoba.  While we were pushing home, she went to Maple View to get us some ice cream.  That made my day a little better.

When Jessica got back, she had a hat for me.  It's a balloon hat of a monkey climbing a... banana?  I'm not sure.  Whatever it is, it's awesome, and it brightened my day some more.


Monkeys are funny!

 Later, Katie and I worked on putting on and removing shoes.  That went quite well, so that make me a little happier.

The monkey is watching

Then we worked on some transfers onto weird surfaces like a couch and a chair.  The transfers went really well so that made my day a little better.

The monkey says, "transfer!"

Later, Jessica went and got us Mediterranean Deli for dinner.  That made my day a whole lot better.

Delicious food

Jessica stayed with me until about 8:00, and then Bert showed up to spend the night at 10:00, so I have another guest.

Bert hates this picture

Bert is currently busy making me laugh until my surgery hurts, so I'm going to end this post, but it has been a great day.  I wish they could all be like today.

No comments:

Post a Comment