Friday, June 22, 2012

Heterotopic Ossification

When they x-rayed me the other day, the doctors found something they think is a problem.  It's called heterotopic ossification.  What it means is that due to some trauma below my sensation line, they believe they have found a place in my hips where bone is forming inside my muscles.  It occurs in 15% of spinal injury patients, and it looks like I may have gotten lucky.  Today they need to run a "bone scan" to confirm their diagnosis and to see if there are any other locations they need to worry about.

Treatment consists of 12 weeks of drugs which should stop the formation of bone, but may also make me nauseous.  I can't wait.  I'm still hoping they read the x-ray wrong, but HO would explain some of the lack of flexibility in my hips.

1 comment: