Saturday, June 16, 2012

Moving Day

Today, my friends moved a lot of my stuff from my house to my new apartment.  I'm extremely grateful that I have people who can do that for me, but I feel fairly helpless that I can't go participate in my own move.  I'm an extremely independent person, and I don't like to ask for help from anybody, but at least for the time being, I'm going to have to rely on a lot of help from everybody.

I want to thank everyone who helped move my stuff.  I literally don't know what I would do without your help:
  • Caitlin
  • Cullen
  • Jessica
  • Ben
  • Rob
  • Brian
  • Gus
  • Sridhar
  • Wil
  • Bert
Everybody but Gus.  Wil is hiding behind Jessica.

Apparently the move went well, and here are some pictures, but unfortunately, when my friends got to the apartment, the elevator was broken.  Besides the fact that they had to carry all my stuff up two flights of stairs,  a broken elevator is pretty worrisome since it effectively strands me either inside or outside my apartment.  A couple people my friends talked to insisted it has been a year and a half since the elevator broke last so hopefully there's nothing to worry about.  Maybe it's good we got this breakage out of the way, and it will be another year before it breaks again, but it's hard not to worry.

I found out from Mike and Sue this week that apparently there is a girl from their RIT alumni group who lives in my new neighborhood who is supposedly willing to help me out, so I'm looking forward to meeting her.  It's fun to make new friends.  Hopefully this one works out.

Today, I got a visit from Kelly and Lily, and I only had one therapy session with a guy I don't know.  I also got a visit from my friend, Wil, from work. Wil used to be my mentor at IBM, and it was nice of him to stop by to see how I'm doing.

Every day I feel like I'm doing a little better.  My confidence is increasing, and I'm feeling more and more ready to see what life is like on the outside.  I also think I feel better on the weekends when I get to rest and recover from everything the therapists put me through during the week.  It's nice to not be sore for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment